Phase I ( 0-7 days post-op):
- Posterior splint at 90 degrees of elbow flexion.
- Wrist and hand gripping exercises.
Phase II (1 week through 5 weeks post-op):
- Brace locked at 90 when not working on therapy exercises.
- Elbow PROM and self assisted.
- 1 week post-op 45-100.
- 3 weeks post-op 30-115
- 5 weeks post-op 15-130
- Shoulder Passive, Active Assisted, and Active Range of motion as tolerated all planes.
- Scapular retraction and shoulder shrugs.
- Active wrist flexion and extension.
- Passive supination and pronation stretch.
- No active elbow flexion or supination.
- Gripping exercises.
Phase III (6 weeks post-op):
- Begin active elbow flexion and supination at 6 weeks post-op.
- Begin co-contraction exercises of biceps and triceps.
- Elbow ROM.
- Discontinue brace 8 weeks post-op (0-145).
- 8 weeks post-op begin
- Light isotonic triceps.
- Isotonic wrist flexors/extensors.
- Shoulder rotator cuff and scapular strengthening.
Phase IV (12 weeks post-op):
- Biceps light isotonics progressing 1 pound per week beginning at week 12 weeks post-op.
- Initiate resisted UBE.
Phase V (16 weeks post-op through week 26):
- Progressive strengthening as tolerated.
- Functional progression to athletic activity.